Monday, February 27, 2012

My trip to Wynwwod


There is a strong sense of pride and culture in Wynwood despite its adversaries.

Today I took a a sporadic trip down to Miami. When ever I'm in need of some interesting sights and scenes Miami is never one to disappoint. My first stop was down to South beach then over to the Wynwood District. After about a 20 minute ride over the McArthur causeway you arrive in Wynwood. This place is not for the faint of heart, even in the daytime you have to keep a watchful eye of whats happening around you. I was paranoid to even get out of the car. The things you do for art. I had been here a few times before. This time was different, I was by myself and I felt vulnerable and somewhat out of place.What I saw was really sad and depressing. The art work is amazing yes but its hard to ignore all the homeless and sick people on the streets. I tried to just focus on the art. But as you drive through to admire the art you cannot ignore the human suffering taking place. I couldn't help but wonder what terrible events took place in theses peoples lives that led them to sleep on top of a cardboard box in front of a wall of graffiti. Was it drugs, alcohol, abuse, the economy? There is something very eerie about the Wynwood district. Its a mix of broken down warehouses, extreme poverty and million dollar art galleries. Being there in the day time everything is exposed. The colors and artwork is so vibrant and impressive its hard to believe this place exists. I find it ironic how every first Friday of the month this area totally transforms for the Wynwood art walk. The less fortunate disappear into the shadows. Instead funky hipsters and rich art collectors pack the sidewalks with their Gucci boots and fancy dresses. Food trucks line up and down the streets and DJs spin records on the sidewalks. The galleries open their doors and the liquor flows freely. Its a far cry from the hopelessness of the people that live within this community. Hopefully the attention being shed on this area will also bring to light some of the serious social issues taking place. If walls could talk im sure theses walls would scream. How could something so beautiful be so scary? Maybe its just that makes it so special. Being out of the comfort of museum walls you get the full affect of life and art and the people that live here.  Its beauty and pain in its rawest form.  Wynwood opens your mind and your heart. Its living breathing art which is so hard to find.











In the door way a man sleeps peacefully oblivious to the world around him.



Art and nature co-exist


Notice the lonesome shoe at the bottom right corner.

2 comments:

  1. What beautiful words and very sad yet truthful thoughts. You did a great job capturing the essence of the scenes. Your photography with the shoe and doorway says it all. I would like to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms.Lambert for your comments. I plan to go to Wynwood as much as possible and take as many photos as I can. This blogging experience has opened my eyes to alot of great things. Its a great format to share your thoughts and ideas.

      Delete